We have had a delightful December so far! This week, we continued our learning about Gingerbread, and we introduced some traditions and Holidays that are celebrated during the month of December.
What We're Learning...
Our two letters we learned this week were...
Poem of the Week:
Ask your child to recite our poem of the week!!
During our center time, we continued to enhance our comprehension of the different Gingerbread stories by reading more versions of the Gingerbread Man. In art center, we made our very own Gingerbread Boy or Girl by adding decorations to our gingerbread, such as sequins, glitter, yarn, and more!
In the writing center, we took on the perspective of our Gingerbread boy/girl and brainstormed some ideas for what we should say to the Fox to convince him to eat something other than us!
We recorded our voice on the iPad to make our Gingerbread boys/girls come "alive." Check back for this project to be posted on the blog soon!
We began Topic 6 this week, Understanding Addition. In this topic, children will learn the concept of addition. This includes that they will understand that when two numbers or parts are put together, they can find out how many there are in all. We will continue this topic through January.
Keep up with your Kindergartener...
Ask your child about the following to get the conversation started at home!
- What should the Fox eat instead of the gingerbread boy/girl?
- How was the 4th/5th Grade Holiday concert on Friday? Did your child see anyone he/she knew?
- Community Circle on Wednesday with Mrs. Johnson: What does it mean to be a hero? Who is your child's hero?
- Ask your child to recite this week's poem to you.
- What were this week's shake breaks? Check them out!
Happy birthday to Raphael, Julianna and Abigail, who turned 6 this month!!
Mark your Calendars!
- December 22nd is Polar Express Day! Your child can wear his/her pajamas on this day, and bring slippers! Thank you to those parents who will be volunteering to help us out with the crafts and activities on this day. If you are interested in helping out, please let me know ASAP!
- There will be no school from December 26th-January 2nd
- We are now in the midst of our cold winter season! Please be sure your child comes to school dressed appropriately for the weather. We will go outside for recess unless it is below 35 degrees outside.
- Winter also means it is cold and flu season! We reinforce healthy habits with the children at school, such as covering their mouth with their elbow when they cough and/or sneeze, washing hands frequently, etc.
- We gladly take any donations of tissues, hand sanitizer, etc especially during this time of year!!! 😀
Next week we will discuss the different Holidays that are celebrated during the month of December. Thank you to all parents who responded to the December Survey that went out last week!!
Have a wonderful weekend and stay warm!!