We had an exciting week as we wrapped up the month of September, and welcomed the month of October. With October among us, we will embrace fun fall activities this month. Take a peek at what we have been working on this past week in Kindergarten:
This week, we began our phonics program, called Fundations. Students worked very hard in learning about the different lines that help us write our letters. Be sure to ask your child about each of the lines, including the sky line, the plane line, the grass line, and the worm line. We practiced how writers sit in a chair, and the correct way to hold a pencil. We also practiced how to use our special white boards in our classroom as we practiced writing the letter t. Next week, we will continue to write the letter t, and will learn how to write letters b and f. Be on the look out for more information to come home in your child's red communication folder next week.
|The sky line, plane line, grass line, and worm line|
|The picture card for letter t helps to remember the sound it makes: t, top, /t/.|
|We met Mama Echo, our Fundations mascot, to help us remember all the sounds that each letter makes. At home, ask your child if he/she can make the sound that the letter t makes!|
In math this week, we finished up our first topic in enVisionMath. We will begin Topic 2 in enVisions next week, which will focus on comparing numbers 1-5. Important math vocabulary terms to be on the lookout for next week include: same as, more, fewer, and order.
This week during our English-Language Arts block, we have been finishing up our practice on the concept of rhyme. In addition, we learned a color poem, which helped us to remember all the different colors. To reinforce our knowledge of the colors, we read Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you See?
On Monday, we labeled a cross section of a pumpkin. The kids did this independently, and did a fantastic job! We made sure to label the stem, seeds, skin, and pulp of a pumpkin.
Other fun things this week:
- Library on Tuesday
- Class Reward was extra recess on Tuesday
- Mrs. Johnson read us a fun story on Thursday
- Ms. Greene, the school guidance counselor, did a whole-class lesson on Friday
- We practiced fired safety with a fire drill on Friday
- How was library on Tuesday?
- What sound does the letter t make?
- Ask your child to describe the sky line, plane line, grass line and worm line
- How was meeting Mama Echo?
- What is your child's favorite color and why?
- What was your favorite animal from Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
Looking Ahead to Next Week:
- Our theme will be Fall leaves
- We will move from the concept of rhyme onto the concept of syllables
- We will compare numbers 1-5 in math (using the words more, fewer, and same as)
- Practice letters t, b and f
- We will go to the computer lab for the first time on Thursday!
We earned a whole-class reward for next week to bring in something to share with our classmates on Wednesday. Be on the lookout for more information to come!!!